Beverly Hooks Impressionist…………………………………..
Here we are again in my favorite season, with the magic of light and autumn colors playing their masterful drama in the coolness of lingering shadows. I just love working in the garden getting bulbs separated and little roots tucked in before winter’s blast.
But today I am excited to share a recipe with you………. it’s a grain free waffle recipe. Approximately twelve years ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac which sent me in a tail spin figuring out what gluten-free was all about and what foods and topical lotions and creams contain gluten. I’ve done very well on a GF diet; my aches, pains and illness reversed, along with the extreme fatigue. However, a couple years ago, I noticed tiredness and some fatigue returning. That’s when I made a change to a Paleo diet, and what a difference…. when I cheat and eat some grains, (Gluten Free of course), I can immediately feel the negative effects.
I share this with you because so many people are asking me how I turned my health around, these people are finding themselves with the same health concerns. So, with all that said, I have a wonderful grain-free recipe to share with those of you who are in need or interesting in making a difference in your health, and LOVE GOOD FOOD!
I call this recipe my Bingo Waffles……. because when I bite into them I say “BINGO!”
This must be said; It’s Very Important to your Health ———-I use only NON- GMO, Organic, Grass Fed, Pasture Raised, Free Range, “Real Foods”.
Also, for oils and fats I use Organic/grass fed butters, Organic Ghee (clarified butter), Avocado oil, Organic coconut oil (cold-press, unrefined), Nut Oils (Walnut, Cashew, etc. these are excellent for pastry and used historically in Europe. (No peanut oil, peanuts are not a nut but a legume). Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed Olive Oil (I no longer cook with olive oil on high heat, I finish with it for its delicious health benefits). * Important to your health is to stay-away from oils with omega-6 fatty acid. If you need more detailed information I can direct you to qualified sources, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org *Please see my list of Doctor and mentors following the recipe.
One of my favorite Cook Books, “Against the Grain”, by Nancy Cain is loaded with her amazing recipes. However, one flour she uses a lot is ‘Buckwheat’ and I don’t particularly like the heavy taste of Buckwheat flour. So, I set out to find a grain-free flour that would perform and give me the texture and flavor that I long to once again taste. After many substitutions, I finally found the right flour mix. These grain-free flours are found in many grocery markets, (gluten free and specialized flour sections) and on Amazon.com.
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup whole Milk
- 1 TBl. Coconut Sugar
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- 2/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/3 Sorghum Flour
- 2 Tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 Tsp Salt (Sea Salt)
1. Separate the eggs, place egg whites in a medium bowl. Make sure the whites are free from the yolk, as the yolk will reduce the volume when whipped. Whip until stiff, using a hand or stand mixer. Set aside
2. With a whisk mix flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside
3. Add oil and vanilla to egg yolks and beat until well blended.
4. Add flour mixture to egg yolks and beat until no lumps remain.
5. Gradually beat in the milk until fully incorporated into the batter. Carefully fold in the egg whites until they are fully blended, careful to retain as much of the egg white loft as possible. If the egg whites have separated a little… go ahead and add the liquid whites.
6. Preheat your greased (coconut oil) waffle maker according the manufactures directions. Note… I found at Fred Meyer (west coast) a non-stick waffle maker; however, it is a white non-stick safe of carcinogens.
7. Ladle batter into the center of the waffle maker careful to cover peaks completely. Follow your maker’s directions. Makes approximately 16 waffles.
8. Serve warm and ENJOY! Oh yes, they freeze perfectly – cool completely, separate with wax or parchment paper and freeze in sealable freezer bag. They reheat beautifully in a regular toaster.
Hope this is a “Bingo” experience for You!!
My health guidance has been tremendous from nutritionist, medical and naturopath physicians. My intent is to share delicious recipes, I make no medical claims, only what has worked for me.
Here is a list of some of my go-to Doctors who have made the difference and turned my life around:
* Dr. David Perlmutter, MD Neurologist, Perlmutter Health Center, Naples Florida. Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. “The Grain Brain” & “The Grain Brain Cookbook DrPerlmutter.com
* Dr. Mark Hyman, MD “Medical director at Cleveland Clinic Center- Functional Medicine, the founder of The UltaWellness Center” author- “Eat Fat, Get Thin” & others drhyman.com
* Dr. Barry Sears, Ph.D, Bio Chemist “Mastering the Zone” zonediet.com/
* Dr. Loren Cordain, Ph.D “The Paleo Diet” & “The Paleo diet Cookbook” Dr. Loren Cordain, with Nell Stephenson & Lorrie Cordain. Thepaleosecret.net
* Sandra Ramacher, “Healing Foods” cooking for celiacs, colitis, crohn’s and IBS. CCCIBs.com & healingfoodscookbook.com
* Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS “Eat Dirt” Doctor of natural medicine, Chiropractor, Nutrition Specialist. draxe.com
* Dr. William Davis, MD Cardiologist “Wheat Belly”, “Wheat Belly Total Health”,” Wheat Belly Cookbook” “Against the Grain” wheatbelly.com
* Dr. Daniel Amen, MD “ Psychiatrist, Brain Disorder Specialist and director of the Amen Clinics. “Change your Brain Change your Body” plus many top selling books on brain and health brainmdhealth.com/DrAmen
* Tana Amen, B.S.N., R.N. “The Omni Diet” Nurse, health and fitness expert and nationally renowned speaker. Tanaamen.com
*Nancy Cain, “Against the Grain”, owner of Against the Grain Gourmet. Her book can be found on Amazon.com
My new painting “A Moment in Time” and more information can be found on my website.
“A Moment in Time”
Pacific Coastal Sunset
Be sure and check out the special pricing for the gallery of Giclee Prints. The featured Giclee print of the month is “Daffodils and Tulips”
“Daffodils and Tulips”
And…. Remember you can “Capture Your Treasured Memories,
Home and Garden Portrait with a commissioned painting”!
“Exploring your Artistic Creativity in Acrylic Painting”
Art Classes are available the first four Thursdays of every month
(except December) at the Salmon Center, Belfair, Washington